Question

zsazsamoo

Why can't I get my score above 800?
I haven't opened up new credit, have paid down my mortgage substantially, no late payments, using a small percentage of my available credit (not changed) which I pay in full every month, and no other debt -- and yet my credit score has been an unchanging 788 for 5+ months. Why?

Most Helpful Response

Can't get above 800

Very difficult to do.  Take keoke779's advice, but don't overdo it.  Just bragging, but at one time B of A had me at 849.  I complained that the just didn't want me to hit 850.  Believe me, it has slid since then.

Charge More!

I have noticed that when i'm only using under 10% of my credit limit, my score tends to get stuck.  So I try to find ways to charge stuff that I know I will pay off when the bill is dure. Remember not to exceed 30%-35% of your limits.

The scores really have nothing to do on how little debt you have. They want see that you can manage debt by charging and paying off what you charge.

Doesn't matter

I understand it's a point of pride, but as long as you're 750+, you'll get the best possible rates and pricing for everything.

letmypeoplebro

not totally true. yes having a score at 750 will be good... however some banks call excellent credit 800 and above (usaa). so for best rates eveywhere is false. I have seen some credit scores for wells fargo at 750 and the loan has been declined due to high DTI. Not all banks are the same