Question

jbmccoy2002

Why am I taking a hit for paying off/closing my car loan?
I paid off my car loan so the account was closed.
Does anyone know why my credit rating is taking a hit ( down almost 20 points ) for paying off the car loan?

Because you've now lost that available credit, and you've also lost an open good account.  It's crazy, but that's how it works.  Remember how your score is calculated:  35% payment history, 30% utilization (that is one area where closing accounts hurts); 15% is age of accounts (another hit for you on the closed account); 10% is types of credit and 10% is inquiries.  Hope this helps!

marileta

Enter Your Reply I have no control over nissan for closing a paid account.

The lease should have been turned ito the new lease.