Question

sugarbear101

why am i sent offers and then rejected
So I'm a little new with this and now very confused. I started out with 690 and received a bunch of credit card offers through Credit Karma. I haven't had a credit card in years, so I fill out a couple of applications that were sent to me, only to be declined and now my score is at 658. I know I need to build credit and that's what I'm attempting to do but with every inquiry it lowers my score making it that much more difficult, so why is the company that is supposed to help build and monitor my credit sending me "excellent offers and VERY high chance of approval" offers if its continuously dropping my score? Totally confused.

Most Helpful Response

Don't play into the advertisements

Credit Karma gets paid by advertising these credit cards to apply for. That's also why it's free to monitor your credit on this website.

You really don't apply for ANYTHING without doing proper research on the item or service you are looking to possibly get.

What has happened is that you orginally applied for cards that were most likely out of your credit range. A computer program decides what credit card advertisements to send you. Not necessarily the cards that may be suitable for you.

Anyway, you applied for a couple of these types of cards, got rejected and what you may not know is that those 'couple' of rejections also sent 'hard inquiries" to your credit profile in which when you get denied, it hurts your score. Since you didn't know this ahead of time, I can only assume that you continued to apply for other offers and continued to get rejected.

That is most likely because you now have too many hard inquires on your report now. If or when you get letters from these card companies telling you why you got rejected, look to see if any say that you were rejected for "too many recent requests for credit" or the only other thing I can think of at this moment would be "not enough credit history"