Question

vlemus341

Why am I not getting approved for a credit card?
My Trans is 661 and Equifax is 668 (according to Credit Karma). I had no credit and went to those numbers. I've been working so hard on getting my credit score up and it gets very frustrating when I don't get approved. Can anyone help me understand the reasons I am not getting approved????

Most Helpful Response

In my opinion/exsperience

Debt vs income..(.if you have more debt then income)Fastest way to up your credit is to go with a secure credit card ...you put the cash down usually $200-$300 is required use it for little things that you normally would buy then pay it almost off keep $260-$280 on the card by the end of each month.Doing this I was able to buy a house and jump my credit 100 pionts in 6 months(everyone is different either way it helps alot.)For nuying a home the big thing is debt vs income so I was thinking could be the same for any credit card or loans as well.   PS if you wanted to up your credit  to get a secured card they can be done at a bank or credit union.

Lending decisions are based on more than credit scores. Since I don't know your overall situation I do not know why you are not getting approved. Be aware that the lenders you apply with probably do not use the scores on here but a version of FICO scores instead. Be cautious with what cards you apply for. Read reviews of the cards to see if you have a chance of being approved before apply. Many credit card issues have a preapproval link on their web page so you can test the waters without getting a hard inquiry on your credit report. Check into Secured credit cards as people with no credit or bad credit sometime have better luck getting approved with them. There are also cards out there such as First Premiere and Credit One that approve many people, however they are extremely expensive to have, so I would avoid them unless absolutely necessary. As far as secured cards you should check with Capital One or OpenSky.

Don't Feel Bad vlemus341

My Credit scores are quite a bit higher than yours (a TransUnion score of 778 for example) and I can't get a credit card either. I think it would be best for new members here to pretty much ignore the "Approval Odds" that are presented to you. Credit Karma is obviously missing some very important piece of the credit puzzle. This is a good service for quickly and easily finding scores, however for the credit card reccomendations there seems to be some serious problems. Good luck,

Credit Cards

The best time to apply for them is during the holidays  they are more giving but never go over 50 percent of your limit  going over can ruin your credit as well its sad

Best thing to do is the "shopping cart trick". It would work ggreat in this situation as it is only a SP vs. a HP. Here is the link to one of a few different sites that go into detail how to perform this method of getting approval for certain credit cards. It really does work, I have a few from doing this. Just be selective which ones you decide to go after because if your a guy, you really wouldnt have much use for a CC from Lane Bryant even if they gave you an unlimited CL. Just read the details and see if this is worth a try for you. Since there is not HP you take no hits to your credit report. Its exciting when you get the pop up "Congratulations! You've been approved for a (Insert company name) credit card". Hope this helps your quest. :)

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/shopping-cart-trick-get-credit-cards-without-the-hard-pull/