Question

ymarie13

Why after closing unused Cards my score dropped 30 points?
I closed multiple Store Credit Cards and my score dropped almost 30 points. Why was that? I had read it was good to do so if they had just been there unused for years. I also had to do some research on them since I had no clue what or where they were from. I only left the big CC so how can I bring up my score now?

Most Helpful Response

Because you closed the cards.

All the available credit you have is good for your credit score even if you don't use the cards.  Closing a card removes that credit limit from your total and hurts your credit score.  After a long period of inactivity, stores may close the cards but as long as the cards are considered active, they should be kept locked in a safe place and you will continue to benefit from having that "available" credit on your score.