Question

gar79

Who do I ask for a PFD, Discover or Collection Agency?
I have a Discover Card charge-off of $4,000 from 2011. Discover says I need to pay through Trak America (CA). I plan to negotiate an amount Trak America will accept, but my question is do I ask Trak America for a PFD? Track America is not on my credit report. It still shows as a delinquent/closed account from Discover. Do I negotiate with Trak America, get it in writing, pay the amount off, and then work with Discover on the PFD?

Thanks.

Once a debt goes into collections, it is the collector that owns it, and that is the one who is paid, providing the debt is still collectable under the Statute of Limitations on Collections, which varies by state. That is explained in the articles here on Credit Karma which is here to teach how credit works.

You have no negotiation with Discover as they don't own the debt.  Your time with them was during their collection process.   Get with Trak America before they report it, although, do still include the PFD in your discussion.   I am afraid that the Discover entry will probably be on your credit report until 2018.  Although the nice thing, thats only 2 more years.