Question

Gailforce56

Which score has more clout, Vantage or FICO?
My FICO score is much higher than anything on Credit Karma. Is that good or bad?

Most Helpful Response

Fico does as most lenders use Fico versions instead of Vantage. I am surprised that your Fico scores are showing higher than Vantage, for most people including myself it seems to be the other way around. Your answer is "That's Good"

credit score

how believable are the credit scores.  Can I actually rely on them

FICO

FICO is the most important.  I work for a mortgage company and as far as I know, all mortgage lenders still use FICO.  From credit card forum.com...

This score hasn’t even been around a decade yet and thus far, lenders have failed to adapt it on a wide scale. To put things in perspective, according to FICO’s website, their scoring models are used by more than 90 percent of the largest lenders. So who is actually using VantageScore? That’s difficult to say.

In 2006 Fair Isaac Corporation filed a lawsuit against VantageScore Solutions, LLC alleging that they were trying to drive Fair Isaac out of the credit scoring industry. Within the 52-page court order, it claimed that VantageScore’s marketshare was only 5.7 percent.

In the years since VantageScore’s usage and market share has most certainly increased, but by how much is anyone’s guess. According to VantageScore’s website, the score is used by

• 7 of the Top 10 major financial institutions
  • 8 of the Top 10 credit card issuers
  • 6 of the Top 10 auto lenders
  • 5 of the Top 5 mortgage lenders

The question is, however, how often are 7 of the Top 10 major financial institutions using VantageScore vs. FICO? I believe that would give us a clearer picture as to who uses Vantage credit scores.

Mine FICO is about 100 points higher than my scores on credit karma, also.