Question

Creditdunce2011

Where to start if you have very poor credit
Hi I'm 31 about and have a very poor credit score. Started learning about credit seems way too late. However as the saying goes when you know better you do better. Credit score is in the mid 400's and I have at least 2 past due accounts that I just now started to get back on track. Unfortunately I have a handful of accounts in collections. Is there any hope? How long would it take me to get back to at least a fair standing? Any help would be appreciated.

I honestly do not like your username because you are not a dunce.  Credit is not taught in any school level and I should know.  I have an Associate's in Accounting and a Bachelor's in Management and learned more here than in all the classes I took. It's not too late, either, because I was 66 when I joined Credit Karma.  Take the time to read the articles here to learn how credit works, and how to build your credit score.  Read about the Statute of Limitations on Collections (which varies by state) and how to negotiate a 'pay for delete' agreement.   Since only you can see your credit information here, I can't say how long it will take to get to a better score, but it will be faster than you currently think. You can make it happen.  I did..