Question

Batt1eRatt1e

Where should my tax money go?
So I'm trying to see where I should spend my tax money in a few months. I've got several credit card debts. $8000, $2500, $2500 $2000. Should I put my estimated $5000 tax return into paying off a couple cards or into the big debt? If I pay off a couple cards that's instant money in the bank and credit score improvement for paying it off. If I put money towards the bigger debt will I be able to ask for a lower monthly payment?

Most Helpful Response

Strategic plan

You're on the right track either way!  Glad to hear you're thinking like that, instead of buying something you dont need.

The answer:  I think it depends on the interest rates for those debts.  If one is a lot worse than the others...I'd probably attack it first, because you're giving away money every month on a high interest rate.

If all things are equal, I'd use the money like this:

• Pay off the $2000
  • Pay off the $2500
  • Put $500 in savings.
  • Then roll over every penny of your normal payments from those two you closed onto the other $2500.  Knock it out as fast as possible...and then carry every red cent of those three normal payments onto that big boy ($8000).

*NOTE* The $500 in savings will save your backside next time you have an urgent situation...and keep you from using more credit.  Keep it there as an emergency fund.

Do what that guy said

Just remember that every bit extra you pay will lower the required min payment (not that you should only pay the min).  Once you have a few months of paying way over the extra, call them and ask for a lower interest rate (the worst they can say is no).  If they say yes, then even more money goes to principle and your balance falls even faster.

Good Luck.

Good point about calling and asking for a lower interest rate.  Worst that can happen is the word "no"

Some companies will work with you to keep your business.