Question

needhelp401

Where, or who can I talk to about getting my credit back on track?

Most Helpful Response

Slow Process

I've found a lot of good information in this forum. My scores were pretty low before I started repairing my credit. The first thing I did was get a secured credit card. I saw an immediate increase. The second thing I did was review my credit report and disputed all the old information through the credit bureaus. Anything that couldn't be verified was removed and old debt was removed. 

Every month I added money to my secured card and didn't carry a balance. After a few months, I was approved for an unsecured, which I only use once a month. If I use it more than once, I pay my balance to $0 and then use it. I keep all balances below at or below 10 percent. I buy things like gas or small personal items.

Due to unexpected unemployment, we fell behind on our vehicles. Got caught up on the payments and haven't missed on yet. One of them will be paid off next month.

Repairing your credit takes time. There are some quick methods to increase your score (secured and unsecured credit cards), but the best methods involve on-time payments, etc. It's a slow process but worth it in the end.

You can talk to a credit counselor or credit repair agency (don't recommend) or you can do some research and repair it yourself. It's a lot cheaper.

Transunion- 554 now 640

Equifax-539- now 637

Experian-558-now 670