Question

dobbybear13

Where do I start getting out of debt? I need help!
I have seven closed credit accounts (department stores) three government loans for college, one dept. store has gone into collections. my debt is a little more than 13 thousand. I have a full time job that doesn't pay much (9-10 hourly). Is there a debt counseling service that's free or cheap that could help me set up a plan on how to get out of debt? I live in the St.Louis area. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Most Helpful Response

Contact CCCS.

Consumer Credit Counseling Service is a non-profit organization that helps people to get their payment plan up and running to clear out their debts.  You should find their number in the phone book or you can find it online.  There IS one or more offices in your area.

I can tell you one thing you need to know and that is that the student loans will NEVER disappear.  There is no statute of limitations for them and they cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.  Also, the interest will continue to pile up until the loans are paid in full.  There is a possibility of getting a deferment or forbearance but that is something you'll have to investigate.  Contact your lender or get the contact information from the financial aid office.

One thing to do is stop using credit cards uless you could pay them in full when the bill arrives and I, personally, avoid department store cards since they carry the highest interest rate.

Hope this helps.