Question

johnneffde

When will a reduction in my credit card utilization register on my credit report?
Hello,

My wife and I are hoping to purchase a home within the next 3 to 6 months, and as such I am trying to optimize my credit score.

Last month I made a large payment on my credit card with the largest balance, reducing my overall credit utilization from 27% to around 15%. I was hoping to see a bounce in my score because of this, but the balance shown on the report has remained unchanged. It is a Capital One MasterCard. How long does it usually take for the reduction in my overall credit utilization to hit my credit report?

Thanks in advance!

-John

Give it another 30 days or so.  You don't know what day of the month Capital One sends their data to the bureaus.  Each company gets to pick their own date for reporting, so it could change at any time.  Congrats and hang in there!