Question

Shellmcl3

When paying off debtors, how can I get the accounts removed from my credit?!?!
I'm trying to pay off collections ($6,000) so that my husband and I are able to purchase a house in a yr. I paid off 2 debtors 2 yrs ago and they're still on my account as negative! Also the "open date" keeps changing on my open collection accounts...how will it ever get to 7 yrs if it says that it opened last yr even though it was at least 5 yrs ago?! Please help....any advice would be great :)

The open date doesn't matter, it is the date the account went delinquent that starts the 7 & 1/2 year clock.  If you know those dates, then watch your report.  If they don't fall off when they should, write letters (never, ever do this online) and dispute the accounts with the bureaus, tell them to delete the outdated report.  A paid collection is much better than an unpaid one, so you're on the right track.  If you don't know what the date of delinquency is, then write to the bureaus and ask for that date.  Write to the collectors as well.  Be persistent but polite and I'm sure you'll get some good results.  By the way, paid collections hurt your score, but won't prevent you from getting a mortgage.  If you are interested in a mortgage without credit score hassle, visit www.naca.com, they are a non-profit group and don't require any down payment, no closing costs, great interest rates and credit scores don't matter.  Best of luck!

Account Removal

With every payment you make on a collection account the 7 year clock starts all over again. I would contact the paid off accounts and because the accounts are paid, ask them to delete the negative tradelines as a goodwill gesture. They don't have to do that but sometimes they will and it's well worth a try. On the open collection accounts try to negotiate a "pay for delete" and if they agree get it in writing before you send another dime. With every payment once again, the clock restarts.