Question

MCrow81

When does a collection agency garnish wages ?

Most Helpful Response

Go to court

I agree to both of the above. I want to add - if they DO eventually take you to court, make SURE you show up. Otherwise, they get the default judgement. If you're in a position to settle, you can settle the debt for 50% or maybe even less. I hate these crooks!

Garnishment action is a legal one,so they would have to file a lawsuit and obtain a judgement order to get it. .

I agree to the other answer. Let me add, if you are being harassed or threatened by a debt collector, do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) as they could be breaking the law.