Question

Jwalker12284

When can I file for Bankruptcy?
I am over 30k in debt, as well as 30k in student loans, I only make about 17,920 a year and my credit score seems to be about 510. This is the only option I keep coming too. But I cant get any real information on what to do. I mean I don't live extravagantly but just food and trying to save for my license and a car is almost killing me and I don't know what else to do.

You're going to have to consult with the student loan servicer to see if an income contingent payment plan can be worked out since student loans remain payable until paid off and they cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

Since a bankruptcy hurts your credit for the next 10 years, you may wish to reconsider that idea.  You could consult with a bankruptcy attorney (usually first consult is free) and listen to their recommendations.  They know some of the best ways to avoid bankruptcy.

I hope you have mass transit where you live.  Makes things easier for those without a car.  You didn't mention the cost of insurance, which you also must have with a car. 

You are the one who got into debt, and proper debt handling is important.  Check the financial tools on this site for hints on how to work payments out.  There are valuable tools and information (look on the left of this page) that can help you learn how to handle things.  Please use them.