Question

Posted in Banking

DreamsInColor

When a debt collector/buyer goes out of business
The bank sold my debt in 2010 to a collection agency. I paid. They went out of business before reporting my payment to the credit bureau. What can I do now besides waiting until it gets "forgiven" in 2016? I just found out about this missing link a few months ago, which explains why for the past 5 years I've had to pay through the nose for everything like high deposits and now I can't even open a regular checking account. Why am I being punished for their mistake? And why would a bank like US Bank be so reckless with whom they do business with?

If you paid it and the account shows a balance, then dispute it with the credit bureaus. Transunion, Equifax and Experian all have websites where you can dispute.