Question

qmtrr

What would be the effect on my credit if I lose in civil court a warrant in debt?
I have a court date tomorrow. The dentist wants about $400 more than the $1300 he has received for my route canal. Neither he nor I submitted the supporting documentation for one of the procedures he billed the insurance company for. From what I see online, he may not have had the right to bill for that procedure in the first place. I might be able to win with that defense, but the insurance company's consideration of the claim is still outstanding. I'm thinking of asking for a "re-trial (?)" or "extension" to have the court date later, after my insurance company has deemed the procedure as valid or not. If they deem it valid, then they'll pay over $100, too. His work on the tooth also seems to have caused damage to the tooth above it, which will now require treatment of its own. Should I defend myself, or is it too much of a risk to my credit, were I to lose?

Whatever you do, make sure you show up for court or you will automatically lose. I would do my best to have the funds ready in case you lose so you can pay it right away and hopefully avoid a judgement hitting your reports. Just be honest with the judge and see what they have to say.