Question

minp

What type of debt (Oral, Written, Promissory or Open) is an Apartment Collection considered?
What type of debt (Oral, Written, Promissory or Open) is an Apartment Collection considered? A collection agency is claiming that I owe $5000+ (and accruing interest monthly) as an apartment related debt, however I am having trouble determining the statute of limitations in my state as I'm not sure what type of debt this is considered. I was not evicted and we did not break the lease, we followed all procedures for move out. I am really at a loss as I do not believe that I owe this debt and that the apartment community is trying to scam me. They did not even contact me once about the supposed debt and sent me straight to collections the month I moved out! What category of debt is this considered? I have spent hours searching the internet and feel like I'm missing something, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you contacted the landlord or leasing agency from the apartment complex?  Try that avenue first. 

Tell the collection agency you want copies of all documentation faxed, emailed, or mailed to you for verification.

minp

We did that first but they are no help, say they have no records of anything and that we need to contact the collections agency. I'm just wondering what type of debt this is even considered as I am planning to more aggressively dispute this but want to make sure we are past the time period they had to actually try to legally collect on it.