Question

cpd1258

What to do when a lawyer buys the debt that's about to expire and is contacting you.
I have been getting calls about a debt that's reached its statue of limitations when a lawyer bought the debt and is now trying to collect on it. I don't have any information about this debt and they have already called my job to verify my employment. I don't want to inquire about this since it was already about to reach its statue of limitations, and that would reopen the case, but what do I do?

So their right to sue you has expired?  If so, tell them not to contact you in any form except by mail.  If they violate that rule, or any other collection rules, contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau via the web and file a complaint.  Look up the Federal Debt Collection Practices Act to see what they can & cannot do.   One source is www.consumer.ftc.gov.   You can file complaint with them as well.  Best of luck!