Question

Rbella6

What to do?? I'm not sure where to begin
I'm glad I found this site to help with my credit.

Needless to say, my credit is down right shot! I was careless and didn't take credit worthiness very seriously. Now that I realize how important is it, I need to find the right way to rebuild credit.

As I'm looking through credit karma, my score stands at 510. Here's what the rest looks like.

3 public record tax lines - back child support
1) $16,570
2) $3,500
3) $ 2,470

6 accounts delinquent
32 accounts in collection
0 credit history
7 credit inquiries

Now, I know this is horrible. I don't have a valid excuse as to way it is this bad. Most of the collection items are traffic tickets, unpaid bills from AT&T and Verizon. As far as I remember I've only had one credit card and that was through Macy's, otherwise I never had one major credit card of any sort nor a car loan.

I'm not looking for a quick fix but a step in the right direction - a credit card, small loan etc.. I've applied for credit cards but obviously I've always been denied. I've applied for a secured card from capital one but currently awaiting approval.

I'm embarrassed to show this but I'd rather get a sound advice and hopefully get through it. Thanks for taking your time looking at this and for your advice!

You'll definitely have a tough time getting sorted through this based on the number of delinquent accounts and accounts in collections that you have. The secured credit cards are pretty much your way to go right now since it will be difficult to get any other cards.

Years ago, I was also careless about my accounts and let about 3-4 of them go to collections. Some were paid for less than the ammount owed, and others were not. The thing is, these will stay on your credit report for 7 years. I've been working really hard at paying my balances off at the end of the month, no late payments, and less than 20% credit utilization. 

I was not approved for any secured credit cards when I tried to turn everything around, so I just got what I could, which was a credit card from "First Premier Bank" that had a hefty annual fee and horrible APR, but I figured it was the first step. I opened up an auto loan too, but had difficulties getting a loan since I was such a risk. It's just a matter of being persistent and keeping track of your payments within a timely manner.