Question

timzimmerman

What to do after paying down high interest credit card?
I've had this card for about 8 years now and am finally within a couple hundred dollars of getting it to a zero balance. The credit limit accounts for just under half of my available credit, so I don't plan on closing it, but I also don't plan on using it ever again because the interest rate is so high (23.99%). Is there anything I can do with it outside of holding onto it until my credit score is high enough to apply for a different card with a similar limit and better rate?

Most Helpful Response

Yes!!

While you do want a credit card with the lowest interest rate possible for charges you may have to pay over time, you can still benefit greatly by keeping this card active, and can do it without having to pay interest.  Check your bills to see which regular billing you currently have (power, TV, insurance, phone) and have the payment made by that card every month.  Then, when the card billing comes in, pay that in full.  Your usage will remain good, you will not have to pay interest and you still retain the long credit history and credit limits of that card.  Those are factors that are good on your credit score. And, with the history and credit limit, as long as you pay this card in full every month, it's not going to matter what the interest rate is so you can keep it active forever that way.