Question

monkeybear87

What to do about stubborn debt collectors?
I have a debt from a utility company from last year, and it was purchased by a debt collector. I requested verification in writing, which they promptly and politely provided. I have sent 2 letters attempting to settle or completely pay off the debt. I was very polite and emphasized how I was only attempting to pay off my debt with their company, and if they can provide me with some kind of assurance it will be removed on the condition I pay the entire debt. I also asked if payments can be made, etc etc. Today I receive a generic collection letter stating "we are in receipt of your correspondence. This does not clear the matter. Please contact our office so that we can discuss a resolution." By now I'm thinking "DUH WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY LETTERS WERE FOR?!"
I know better than to call and get someone's fake name and a promise over the phone does nothing. I am trying to fix my credit, and am getting everything I can in writing.
What can I do? The letter also states that this debt is scheduled to report to all 3 bureaus 37 days from the date of the letter...that's how I found it is on my credit report.
What is my best course of action? Just pay them? Write them another letter?
Thank you for taking your time to read this.

I would call them, and see if they are willing to do a Pay Per Delete.  If they seem OK with it, get the person's name and send letter to them.  Explain you need  them to put it in writing before you pay anything, and you'll send them something to sign.  If the person you talk to says "no way" ask for their supervisor and keep moving it up the chain.  Keep sending letters as well.  If you're in no rush to get this off your report, then I'd keep at it and wear them down.  Make it clear that you're not paying unless it comes off (whether you mean it or not) so it is in their best interest to agree to delete the account, or you're willing to wait it out.  HOWEVER, if the debt is over 1,000.00, be careful, they may decide to sue instead of working with you.  Check your state's statute of limitations to see when their right to sue expires.  (Usually they only sue on larger debts, it's not worth the effort on small ones.)  Best of luck!

So I have a medical debt from about 2 years ago when I was hospitalized. It totals about $4,000. It was during a financial hardshi and I attempted to make payment arrangements with the hospital but the lady was extremely rude and wasn't willing to take the maximum amount that I could pay monthly, so of course it ended up with a collection agency. If they are capable of suing me, what should I say? Im paying off my smaler debts before I attempt to contact them. I don't have an extra $4,000 laying around so I'll have to make payments. Can I write them and ask for an agreement for deletion once I pay it off? Can I ask them to settle for a smaller and more realistic amount that I can pay them? Thats the biggest debt I have and I'm not sure how to tackle it