Question

toomuchoil

What to do about a single account in collections?
At my prior residence, I had a contract with an Oil Company. I was was over 90 days lays and was told my contract was void. One month later I paid the balance I owed. Three months later in early October (wasn't that cold) without notice they delivered 250 gallons at the peak of the Oil price crisis. They also renewed by service contract without notifying me. I contacted the provider and told them that I did not authorize the delivery and they took advantage of the Oil Price crisis. I told them I was willing to compromise on what was owed but that I would not pay the $4.29/gallon nor would I pay for a service contract as I'd found another company. They refused to negotiate. I believe the government was calling this price gouging (sp?).
The account was placed with American Collections. I've received no postal or verbal collections contact from American Collections. The total amount due is approximately $1200. They continue to actively report this account 5 years after the event. I would prefer to just put a statement on each of the three credit reporting agencies rather than pay, but it is impacting certain credit decisions.
Please advise.

Write a letter to all three bureaus and tell them this account should not have gone to collections and you do not owe the money.  Also, write to American Collections, ask them to prove this is your account (i.e. you want a copy of the contract you signed) and you want a complete payment history because you do not believe you owe this money.  See what comes back; give them at least 30 days.  This account will fall off your credit report 7 & 1/2 years from the date of the delinquency, so I would keep fighting it.  You can also file a dispute against the Oil company and collectors with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at www.consumerfinance.gov.  Be persistent!  Wishing you best of luck!!