Question

youngsilhouettes

What sort of travel rewards card should I be looking for?
I will be travelling fairly regularly between Japan & Boston in the next few years so I'm looking to get a travel rewards card. Airline cards are out of the question because the airline I will be flying regularly does not partner with any credit card companies.

If I fly roundtrip (around $1,300) at least once a year, and take smaller trips (around $500 on flight/hotels) a handful of times a year, what sort of features should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Bank of America Travel Rewards?

Depends upon whether you want to pay annual fee or not.

IF YOU ARE OK FOR ANNUAL FEE: 1) Bank of America Privileges Travel Rewards (AF $75). 2) Capital One Venture (AF $59).

IF NO ANNUAL FEE: 1) BOA Travel Rewards 2)Capital One venture (yellow card).

The annual fee cards give you unlimited 2 points on every $1, the no annual fee give 1.5 points per $1. IMO, go with annual fee. The way you travel, BOA Travel Privileges suits you best, because it doesn't have foreign transaction fee.

AADeo

Both the above cards are not tied to one particular airlines, and for BOA, you can redeem points in terms of Travel credit (any travel related expenses like taxi, hotel, etc). So, there are no restrictions. Best part is no foreign transaction fees.