What should I do if I think my social security number has been stolen?
I was informed several month ago by Nelnet, a student loan company, that their computers had been compromised and my credit information stolen. They gave me one year of Triple Alert Service.

Since then, I have been receiving bazarre phone calls from someone with a very heavy accent. In two calls, he stated that he was from the FBI (I actually think he was saying FDI) and that he was investigating fraud in regard to my SSN. He sounded very unprofessional and I requested his phone number, badge number and physicial address. I heard him talking to someone in the background about my requests and then he hung up. He called back right back. I told hime I wouldn't give him any information until I recevied additional information from him.

About a month later I received another call requesting with the same scenario. I didn't give him any information and he hung up when I demanded information from him.

Today, I received another call and he left a message on my recorder stating that he was from immigration services. I did not return the call although he left a number. I tried to contact immigration services under Homeland Security (since he said that he was affiliated with them). The department I reached said that they didn't work with those issues and they gave me another number to try. I could only leave a message at that number. But, I was advised not to provide any information. I have reported this previously in a complaint to the FBI and never received a respones.

Who should handle such matters? What other actions should I take? Why is it so difficult to to speak to a live person? And since thet have my SSN, what else should I do?

JohnHoer

Most Helpful Response

never give any information by phone... if someone calls demanding that info, then you demand they serve you in writing, and you will behappy to get back to them, then hang up the phone... If you think your SSN has been stolen, then the first thing to do, like THAT MOMENT you first found out about it, is to call all 3 credit bureaus and request a copy of your credit reports and explain you suspect fraud on your account, then follow up to each bureau with a written request for your credit reports, and give the same reason, you believe someone may have stolen your SSN and personal information.

If after looking at your reports, you find unauthorized activity, then call your local police and file a report with them. then photo copy everything, and mail it certified mail return reciept requested to all 3 bureaus. Request a FRAUD ALERT be placed in your file. then fo the next 6-12 months keep a close eye on everything and be ready to react if someone tries to use your information.

Response by
matman1490

I haven't filed a police report. That's a good idea. I've been tracking my credit reports quite closely. Legally, I don't know what agencies have jurisdiction/interests in this matter. The caller tried to be intimidating by saying that they could only wish me "good luck" if I don't respond. But they do have my telephone number, SSN, and my first name.

JohnHoer

These types of scams are becoming more and more common. There is another where they call and claim that they can help you reduce your credit card interest and lower your payments, and are associated with Visa and Mastercard, but when pressed, they will not give any specifics that do not sound as if they are making it up.

It is unlikely that they actually have your information. Instead, they will likely be asking you to 'verify' your information with them, which would then give them your information. Instead of asking for more information on their office first, ask them to verify your SSN back to you. This will let you know if they actually have the information and if you need to take further action to protect yourself.

The first key to knowing if someone has your information and trying to use it is if your hard inquiries are incrementing when you have not applied for any cards, etc.

You can put a 'lock' on your credit reports with each of the agencies, but this would also prevent you from being able to get additional credit, as well.

Response by
phnxangell

But, they indeed have my SSN because they stated it in the telephone message. Most professionals would not give a SSN in a message they left via the phone call.

JohnHoer

This isn't paranois, it's real. LOL. Besides these calls, there have been people going through trash bags on the streets. I've observed this twice. Before, I've seen people come by to pick-up metal scraps, old furniture and odds and ends which might have value. But, when I saw two women going through my trash bags, that alarmed me.

JohnHoer

John: You are so correct, they would not use you SSN on the phone. Can you have your personal phone tapped so the authorities can see where the calls are coming from?  Personally, I would put a fraud alert on all of your bureaus (3), and honesly check your bureaus for any unknown activity. Through the Fraud Alert area within all bureaus, you will receive a confirmation number within the "Research Request Form" for them to follow through, with the phone numbers to get through to ask questions, instead of having to pay to pull up your credit bureaus bi-weekly or monthly.

If at all possible, have your local law enforcement listen to your telephone messages, and follow whatever that may offer for advice.  There is no such thing as being paranoid when it comes to anyone's credit, even if we think we are completely protected.

Response by
Jackspapa

stolen minor ss card

can you not run a credit report to see if a minor's social card is being used????  He is onlly 8 yrs. old and wallet was stolen with his ss card in there?

Response by
store123

Submit to the Community