Question

kbruzek

What should I do after my dispute?
Hi! I have a couple of credit cards that I filed a dispute for and am curious what I should do next. The one says that the balance is at zero and that it was closed out/sold to a debt collector. However, the other account says that the balance is still remaining but also says closed, and that the latest status is Collection-Charged off. Do I continue to pay on the second account with it saying that it is closed because it still has a remaining balance? If not, do I call the debt collector myself and have them take the monthly payment off of my account?

You need to contact the lender and ask them if they are still accepting payments on the account. I would only advise entering a payment plan if you are sure you can follow through and complete it, it not, believe it or not, sometimes it may be best to ignore them, hope you don't get sued over it and let it age off your reports. Every case is different though. Keep in mind if you don't get these either paid in full or get a payment agreement set up with the original lender you will most likely have a collection account popping up on your reports for each of these accounts, that will really hurt your credit, but you can only do what you can do.

kbruzek

Both accounts were already in collections, but when I look at my accounts in collections it says I have 0 after the dispute I filed a month ago. That's why I'm curious if I should stop paying on the one I was already paying on or continue paying it. Can they still sue me if it's not the original lender that owns the debt anymore?

If they now own the debt, which they most likely do, they could sue you. Whether they would or not would depend on what you owe and what the cost would be to take you to court.

I am not sure what to advise you here, too many variables. I would do some serious reading on it.