Question

stephelton

What recourse do I have against illegitimate collections account?
Our last landlord charged us for some very expensive carpet repairs that were not our fault totaling significantly more than our initial security deposit. She has sent us to collections for this remaining balance. I intend to take her to small claims court over the issue and expect that the judge will rule in our favor.

In the mean time, I got a notification of the account with a debt collector. I replied, asking for proof of the debt and proof that the collector is licensed. They sent back some "proof of debt" but never anything about their license. Recently, they reported the debt to a credit bureau. I understand that there are some significant restrictions on how debt collectors can operate. Have they violated these, and if so what can I do about it?

What other things should I do, if anything, before the court case is settled?