Question

Remiera

What kind of card can I open up to help my credit score?
I've heard a lot of things about Credit cards helping you improve your credit score. The only card I have is a bank card, which I guess doesn't work as a normal credit card.

What I'm curious about is if I can open up something like a rewards card at Target, or TJ Maxx or Barnes and Noble to help. My credit score is dropped hard because of student loands and I need to repair it somehow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would stay away from store cards and get a Secured credit card to get started. Capital One is a good lender to check with, depending on your scores you may even be able to get an unsecured platinum card with them. Check the preapproval on their website to see if you are qualified for any. Be aware that preapproval apps don't affect your credit, they are only a soft inquiry, but when you actually apply for a card you will get a "Hard Inquiry" which will deduct a few points from your FICO score. I would not worry about getting rewards cards now, just focus on finding a card that you can be approved for. And yes, getting credit cards is a must for building credit. Make sure that you follow your FICO scores in addition to any non-fico scores that you follow during your credit building process.