Question

Confusedgirl

What is the difference between delinquency and late payment in credit report?
Hello all:
I always schedule auto payments to avoid missing payments but for my JCpenney credit card, I simply forgot that auto payment worked just for 5 months so I missed a payment and when I realized it, it was too late. On late December, a delinquency was reported on my account but when I checked credit karma, still there was no late payment on my payment history. My credit score dropped from 750 to 705 by that delinquency. Then I called the creditor and explain the problem. They did not accept my excuse but I paid the whole balance and late payment fees and interests. Credit karma was updated showing a late payment fee on my history and my score dropped again from 705 to 651. Then again I sent a short email to creditor requesting that they remove that delinquency from my report. They replied that email saying that they refunded late payment fees but did not say anything about credit score. Two weeks later, I got email from credit karma that my credit score had changed. This is the email:
Credit Karma's Credit Monitoring service found the following change on your TransUnion credit report on January 26, 2015:
You have improved your payment history on 1 of your accounts.
And when I clicked on details, I realized the delinquency was removed from that account. My score went up to 699. Now both credit karma and discover card free fico score show late payment on my report and both show almost the same score. Now my question is about the difference between delinquency and late payment. Is it possible that the late payment in my history will be removed because the delinquency has removed?
Thanks a lot.

Most Helpful Response

Keep trying

Most likely it will not be removed. You can keep calling if you are still in good standing, did you pay off the entire loan or just catch up? You can try sending a good faith letter. Just explain that you know it was your fault for missing the payments dont offer excuses but let them know that you are back on track and will not miss any further paymenst and ask them if they would possibly be willing to change it. I managed to do this with one of mine, I had not noticed that my auto payment did not go through since my debit card had expired and they removed my late payment. Send certified mail return reciept, this tends to get the attention of the "higher ups" that you need to get this done. If you are calling in you are getting a low level customer service rep that most likely does not even have the authority to do what you are asking! I hope this helps and good luck!

Hello YouknowmeasCyn. Thanks a lot for your help. I paid the entire loan and made my balance zero, but what was weird that my score went up after I paid it in both credit karma and discover card report and I have read this in several websites that paying off the balance does not increase the score. My score went up for about 48 points in credit karma after few weeks when I received email from credit karma that delinquency was removed. At that time, I assumed the late payment would also be removed after credit karma updates the payment history but it did not happen. That’s the reason why I am confused. When delinquency has removed why late payment is still there? What is the difference between these two: delinquency and late payment, and why my score increased when delinquency was removed? I will try again if I am sure still late payment is in my report!