Question

AJAbel

What is the best way to delete from my credit report bills that are older than 7 years?
I have several hospital bills that originated at the time of service, which was over 7 years ago. (Before seeing the doctor I paid an amount which was to be payment in full; months later I received very inflated charges for lab tests, etc., which I refused to pay.) These bills bounced back and forth from one collection agency to another to another. They still appear on my credit report. Can you suggest the proper wording so I can contact the appropriate company (which I assume is the collection agency which appears on my credit report) and demand that the entry be deleted. Do you have any other advice that would be helpful in this situation?

Contact the three credit bureaus, Transunion, Equifax and Experian. They all have websites with contact info and instructions on how to dispute things on your credit reports. You will contact the credit bureaus as I said, not the collection companies. Dispute the accounts on the grounds that they are "too old" to be on your reports or something along those lines. The dispute process is explained on the credit bureaus websites and is easy to do.

do not contact the collection agency, they will not help you. you need to get a hold of your credit reports and start the dispute process. experian, equifax, and transunion all have websites that allow you to get your report for free due to inaccurate information on your report. get your free report, and find the link for start dispute process. disputing it through them will force them to investigate. they will trace the account back to the original creditor. the original date of delinquency is the seasoning date that is used to determine the 7.5 year threshold. good luck.