Question

sheba751

What is the average fee to file for Chaper 7 Bankrupsy in 2013?

I filed under Chapter 13 years ago and went pro se (did it myself--bad idea) so did not have an attorney.  At the consult, the attorney will tell you everything you need to know.  Many work out payment arrangements. 

I hope that your budget puts housing (including utilities) FIRST, then everything else in declining order, with credit cards at the bottom.  That is information I got from my bankruptcy trustee.  Too many people put the credit cards in first place, but those are "unsecured" debts in that there is virtually nothing generally purchased with a credit card that can be sold to recover the loan (which a credit card really is--a loan.)  If you can swing the house, plus utilities, you may not have to do a bankruptcy. 

Why file bankruptcy?

A bankruptcy is going to hurt your credit for the next 10 years, so why file it?  Consult with a bankruptcy attorney (thier initial conlultation is usually free) and the attorney may provide alternatives for you to consider.

sheba751

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I went through bankrupcy after cancer and unable to continue working in Oct. 2000. I remember the consequences that it entailed. I can't believe I went and got over my head in debts,by my own fault. Most likely without this I'll lose my home. It will be hard enough to come up with the fees for the attorney. That is why I asked the question.