Question

Posted in Taxes

NelehT111

What is a "Death Tax"?
My father recently passed, he had a will but estate went into probate (CA). My brother & I are doing probate W/O a lawyer, so we are trying to get a heads up on what to expect. Someone had told me that once probate is over we will have to pay a Death Tax, can you explain what it is?

Inheritance tax

bracket can be 18% to 40% depending on the size/amount of the estate. But I believe there is a 5.4 million dollar exemption, so you may not be taxed. I encourage you to read up on this further, and meet with a CPA, certified public accountant, to be sure.

It is an inheritance tax on the assets of the deceased.  It just might be to your benefit to consult with an attorney since tax laws are sometimes complex.  Do am Google search to see what the rates are in your state.