Question

ladyrebelFL

What incentive is there to pay a coll.agency if the account is no longer on my credit report?
Recently received notice that a Writ of Garnishment was placed on my previous employment for a CC that was opened in 2000 by my ex husband and was placed into collections in 2004. It is not on my credit report anymore, is there anything I can do to get these guys off my back short of paying on a 16 year old debt that I didn't incur?

1). Your liability to a debt isn't dependent whether if it's on your credit report or not. When a debt/account ages off or removed your report? It doesn't means that debt is discharged or dissolved into thin air. All it mean is that it's no longer included on your credit report, no more no less.

-

2). To garnish your wages, the creditor would need to take legal actions first, not only they filed a civil lawsuits but also gotten a judgment against you and then take one step further by file the Writ of Execution to be able to garnish your wages. At that point, you don't have a choice to pay it or not. Currently there are 9 States has the Statute Of Limitations of 10 years, meaning you can be sued for a debt at anytime time with-in that period, judgments usually has enforceable period upto 10 years and it can be renewed. So it's far longer than the time it can be included on your credit report.