Question

Posted in Banking

PiscesPagan

What if I see a bank saying late payments and I've never had an account with that bank?
the first item on my report is HSBC Bank saying I owe $567.. I've never had an account with this bank, or borrowed money or anything else. How can I dispute this without having to join one of the credit reporting agency's and spending money I really don't have?

Get your credit reports.

You do not have to join a credit reporting agency and spend money to get disputes taken care of.  Someone fed you quite a story when they told you that!!

It USED TO BE that individuals had to pay to get each credit report, but that was many years ago.  The government has made it easy by stating that individuals should be able to get one copy of a report from each credit bureau for FREE every year. So you go to freeannualreport.com and request the reports which are by Transunion, Equifax and Experian.  Look over these reports carefully, noting any erroneous information.  Look to the left column of this page.  Find Resources, then Articles and scroll down through the articles until you find the one on disputing errors.  Follow the instructions there.  The credit bureaus have to investigate and clear things up and they should send you a revised report in about a month.

Hope this helps..