Question

Mburke14

What if I pay collections that fell off?
I have utility accounts that were in collections but are so old, they've fallen off. Now I need to get one of these utilities turned on. If I pay the company what I owe, will it go back on my credit report? And also, would I just pay the utility company directly, or do I still have to track down and negotiate with the last collection agency to have the account?

When you pay the amount in collections, it should not reappear on your credit report.  Even if they do report it as paid, the original date would still be beyond 7 years and if necessary, you can dispute based on age and have it removed.   When you contact the Utility, they will let you know what you have to pay in order to reactivate the services.   Utilities companies normally do not sell past accounts, they merely assign for collection.   This is because they know that sooner or later, you will be back and they will be able to collect.  If they sold the account to someone else, they will not request this amount during the activation of the service.   You should expect to be paying this in addition to a deposit.  If they indeed sold your account, they will not be able to make the request and it could be outside of the statute of limitations for your state.