Question

billybob1994

What if I never received a debt collection notice but it's been in collections for 4 months?
I've severely fallen behind on payments for one of my credit cards. I got a notice from the bank that my account was being closed but I still owed them the money (obviously) after about 6 months. My first time logging onto this website, I see that the the bill has been turned over to collections (with a hefty amount of interest) without any sort of contact from either the bank or collection agency. I had moved to a new city about a year before the debt was sent to collections but I informed the bank of my new address because I was getting about 4 or so letters a week about my balance due. Do I have any sort of rights because I was never actually notified? What should I do?

Most Helpful Response

options

First thing, you can contact the collection agency in writing asking them to vaildate the debt. You have the right under the Fair Debt. 

They  have 30 days to do so . Once that is done, you can call and negotiate a settlement.  The fact is the bank has sold this debt for pennies on the dollar to this collection agency. The bank is done with your account.  The collection agency is praying you won't pay so they can sue you and get more money than what you actually owe.    If you are willing to settle, offer them a settlement of no more than 20 to 30 percent of what they claim you owe.  If they agree , tell them you must have the agreement in writing and that it must state what you agreed to pay and that it will settle your debt in full and they will report it to the credit agencies as such.  That is very important.  Do not make any payments until they vaildate you owe the debt and they actually own it.   Banks are notorious for selling files to numerous agencies. You don't want to wind up paying one agency and then having another claim we own the exact same debt.