Question

etevie

What happens to credit score if I transfer balance to new card w/lower APR, close one w/higher APR?
What happens to credit score if I transfer balance to new card w/lower APR, close one w/higher

Most Helpful Response

Likely go up. Mine did.

I consolidated 3 high interest cards into a lower interest card (7% lower than old cards) and got a higher credit limit.  I'm keeping the old cards in a safe and will use occasionally, paying in full every month, but generally use the new card.  The increase in available credit caused my credit score to raise significantly.

Try the Credit Score Simulator on this site to see what can happen for yourself.  It's fun, and doesn't hurt because this site is a tool so we can see what might happen before making the decision to do something, such as closing a card.