Question

Lexiii95

What happens after a dispute has been approved,
I recently filed a dispute with credit karma, it was for an account that was in collections that I did not open. The account was a AT&T bill that hadn't been paid. I called AT&T to file a fraud claim and I have gotten absolutely no where. I informed them that I did not open the account and they were still telling me I was accountable for the $400 bill. I refuse to pay it. I'm just curious to know if it will continue to affect my credit although it has been removed on credit karma? (The dispute was completed & found to be valid) It was indeed a fraudulent account. Yet AT&T won't help me. Thank you!

Once a dispute is found in your favor, the item is removed from your credit report for that credit bureau.  If you only filed with one, you will still have to file with the other two.  Once approved, it will be removed from your report as if it was never there in the first place.    Although, be aware, that does not preclude AT&T from persuing the debt if they feel it is valid.

Credit Karma is here to TEACH about credit and how to build a good score.  It is not a credit bureau.  It uses information from two of the three credit bureaus. When you file a dispute, you do so with each credit bureau reporting the disputed account.  You NEVER call a company to get something removed because the people you generally talk to do not have authority to make these changes.  You can find out more if you would take the time to read the articles on this site.