Question

GettingBackOnMyFeet

What happens after a credit card debt has been written off by the creditor?
I had to let my BoA and Chase cards go when I lost my job. I'm getting back on my feet and was told today by my bank I should pay off the debt or I may not be able to get a mortgage or I may get a judgement against me and have my wages garnished. How true is this? What really happens when the banks have "written off" your credit card debt and you just get debt collector calls? If it helps, I owed BoA around $7k and Chase around $8k.

Usually, it goes to a collection agency who would call and/or write to you in an attempt to collect on the debt.  If they do not, keep track of the timing from the last date you made a payment and do an online search to find out the statute of limitations for debts.  My state is 6 years, many others are 4, some as high as 10. 

If you are still "within statute" you might contact the banks (they may have closed your files) and explain your history and that you want to get the debt paid in full.  Depending on how quickly you might be able to do it, you might be able to get an agreement from the banks to delete the negatives from your credit reports for payment in full of the debt.  If you get a verbal agreement on the phone, note the party's name and send a written proposal to be signed by the party and a copy to be sent back to you.  That is to make sure you have everything "in writing" which holds up in court much better than only verbal agreements if there is ever a question.

Hope this helps.