Question

Twiggmom

What does it mean that a fraud alert has been added to my credit report?
I recently received an email notification that a fraud alert has been added to my credit report but I can't find anything to tell me what this means or how/why it has been added.

Most Helpful Response

Apparently an account you had (bank account, government file, Social Security number) has been compromised/stolen/hacked, which puts you in danger of identity theft and all the hassle it causes.  A fraud alert was placed on your account by the agency that was compromised and it is really to your benefit because, should anyone try to open any account in your name or using your Social Security number, YOU will be notified.  While it may be a hassle if you want to open an account, at least it prevents the mess caused by Identity theft.

A fraud alert was put on my report when some VA records were compromised.  I didn't have any trouble, but it was comforting to know my ID was being protected.