Question

Posted in Banking

Kay1010

what does it mean if an account is closed but derogatory?
I have an old bank account that says it's closed but derogatory. In the notes it says "Closed off as bad debt and loss write off." does that mean i still need to pay that balance?

Most Helpful Response

No, it means they wrote off

What they you owed as a loss. They are no longer trying to collect it and took a tax credit for it. So they can't collect it anymore. 

The account is closed. But they are using that to "punish" you for not paying. That Derog will stay on your credit report for 7 years as a warning to other creditors that you may not pay your bills.  Depending on what other credit you have and the length of your history and how old that entry is, it may or may not have much of an effect on your ability to get credit. 

Jackula024

Thank you for this information, I just had a quick question that maybe you could help me with. You stated "They are no longer trying to collect it and took a tax credit for it. So they can't collect it anymore.".... my questions are: 

1. Is it normal to still be receiving calls from the collection agency trying to collect on this account even though they claimed "closed - derogatory"? Also, they are claiming my account is still gaining interest. Could they come after me for this? 

2. Would it help my credit if i did pay of the account that was claim "closed - derogatory"?

How to remove it

Is there a way to remove it from your credit

Remove

How can I get it remove from my report 

CJ8705

I have the same thing. How can I get that removed? I'd love to fix that the best I can!

Change

I have a loan that i was late on in mid 2010... I paid this loan off this year and paid it off early, yet it says closed-derogatory... will it fall out of derogatory status when the late payment hits 7 years?

7 years old but still on credit

Why is my debt still on my credit as derogatory and its over 7 years old when placed for collections

Jacki402

I'd like to know the same, I felt as if after 7 years the debt is normally written off and should fall off your report.. 

So is it you get ANOTHER 7 years of negative marks after they write it off/close/collect on it?