Question

nataliespade

What do you do when a parent maxes out a credit card with you as an authorized user?
As if paying back student loans wasn't difficult enough, my parents have racked up a serious amount of credit card debt with me as an authorized user (who doesn't have a card). What happens once I remove my name?

Good luck with that. I was divorced over 7 years ago, we both worked very hard to be removed from each others accounts as authorized users, and a couple of cards they have still not removed us.  Luck both of us are in the high 700's and have not hurt one another.

You need to get removed as an authorized user. Have your parents contact the credit card company and remove you. If the account still appears on your credit reports in a month, then contact the credit bureaus and tell them that you are no longer on the account. The three credit bureaus are Transunion Equifax and Experian and they all have websites with contact info. Your scores should improve once you are removed. Get yourself a Secured credit card in your name only and build your credit with that. Don't rely on others for your credit or for anything.