Question

goodcreditriskwhy

what do i need to do?
credit score is in the 600s I am 50 and pay everything with cash/ online/ in person and Early. I had a secured card but canceled it when the bank would not take it off of secure and give me an unsecured card?(had $10,000) securing card. Am baffled what to do to get my score in the high 7's or low 8's that is where I feel it should be but I cannot get an answer from anyone regarding this issue?. Please help!!

Old, open,positive credit is good credit

That's the point of credit, to have it, you need to use it.  And if you do have, keep it open, because open account are like wine to your credit reports, the older it is, the better it is.  Lots of people have a secured credit card in their wallets and on their credit reports, even after they qualify for other, better, unsecured cards (some even pay an annual fee to keep the card open). 

The reason people do this is because they know they still get credit for having the account open and reporting positive monthly activity that only makes their credit go up the older the account becomes.  Even if that bank doesn’t offer them a better unsecured card, they can still take the positive credit history of that secured card to another bank to demonstrate to the creditor that they are already a good credit risk and apply for more credit there.

Since you already have a score in the 700s, closed that account, and say you like to pay in cash, I suggest applying for an unsecured cash rewards card with a low annual fee.  That way you can still pay your bills that you would normally pay each month and get cash back for doing it through the cash rewards card.  In some cases people get their entire annual fee back in rewards and it’s like having a free card in the wallets that reports a positive credit history to other lenders.  Just remember that the longer you keep it open, the more it will push your score up.

I hope this helps, if it does, thumbs up please.

Most Helpful Response

You want 3 credit cards and one installment that all report to all three credit bureaus to get your score going up.

I know this

But you cant get 3 credit cards with a score in the low 600s much less an installment loan//read my question// Idont qualify for one credit card much less 3 !!!!!