Question

monkeybear87

What do I do next if a debt collector cannot locate information I've requested?
So I've sent out validation letters to debt collectors as I'm trying to fix my credit (as well as better managing the debt I have that I'm confident is mine). I received a reply from one company stating they could not find an account for me and I need to call giving them more information. Could it be possible they do have it and if it was under my maiden name they weren't able to locate it? I addressed myself using my married name. Or should they still be able to locate it?
Also, once the 30 days passes with no response, or I receive a reply such as this (not being able to locate an account with the debt collector), what are my next best steps to take?
Thank you for your time and help.
-Emily

next step

it looks like your next step is dispute the info to the credit bureaus.  if they cant find the info, they are going to have to report that to the credit bureau which should take it off the credit report

If the debt is not validated properly, it is not collectable.  Anything on your credit report that isn't yours, should be disputed with the reporting credit bureau. The accounts should be available under your social security number (which is the identifier on reports) so there should not be a problem finding legitimate account records.