Question

Smhfrustrated

What do I do if the business I owe the debt to is no longer in business?
I owe $544 to a gym from 2008 and I want to pay the gym so it will stop having a negative impact on my credit (since it is in collections) however the gym is no longer in business. I'm not sure what to do...do I still owe the money to the creditor?

Most Helpful Response

The gym sold the debt to the collection agency since they were unable to get the payment from you.  So the one you owe the money to is the collection agency.  You might be able to negotiate a "pay for delete" arrangement, but do this in writing and keep copies of all correspondence until the debt is fully resolved.