Question

Britainy2013

What do I do about old credits that are paid off but not off my credit?
I have a hunter warfield account that was paid back in 2010 and trans union still says I have and open account in collections! I have called them and sent them a letter to remove it twice now! what should I do if they don't remove it soon?

Most Helpful Response

Sorry, it's part of your history.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (a federal regulation) requires that ALL credit transactions that YOU engage in be reported and that they will remain on the credit report for up to 7 years after the date of last activity (payment).  The Hunter Warfield account will have to remain on your report.

However, it should be reported by now that it was paid, so you may want to go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all credit reports.  Look them over carefully, making sure that (good or bad) only YOUR accounts are showing.  File a dispute on each erroneous item with the credit bureau reporting it.  They are supposed to investigate and either verify or delete the account.  This account that was still showing collection status with a balance owing needs to be corrected, so that is the reason for dispute.  Enclose copies of any documents you may have to prove this.

It's wise to check your credit reports once a year to make sure everything is correct.