Question

jessadobbs

What do I do about a closed collections account?
I noticed an account on my credit, and when I called about it, it was from a hospital bill. I had worked at said hospital, and fallen and injured myself. They never submitted it to workers comp, and it fell through the cracks until I called them. They then submitted it, and said they would pass it on to the place that has the debt.... Now it's a CLOSED collections account.

What does that mean? Should I be making more calls or doing anything else to remove it? It's 100% covered by the workers comp claim

Dispute with the credit reporting agencies first.  Point out these:

1.  The debt was never your obligation to pay.

2.  You've recently noticed that this debt has been paid by the party responsible.

3.  This is medical related.

The credit reporting agencies just settled a case with the New York Attorney General (though it effects everyone in the USA).  Briefly, credit reporting agencies will no longer report debt that is medical or government (i.e a traffic ticket).  The agencies do have 3 years to implement this rule, but based on your other concerns I mention, you should be able to have this deleted relatively easy.

Dispute

3.  This is medical related.

Contact the hospital and ask them to call the collection company they sold this debt to and have them remove it from your credit reports. If they do not do this in a timely manner, then tell the hospital to remove it or you will be filing a lawsuit against them for their wrongdoing that led to actual damages to your credit score. If things are how you say they are, then I would consider talking to an attorney now about it as their mistakes have harmed you in a financial sense.