Question

lindsieloo86

What do I do????
I am currently on the road to fixing my credit. (Was young and dumb to sum it up lol). One report is a directv account and I called to ask about when my first delinquent payment was. The representative asked for my account number and I gave her the one on my report. She said my name wasn't the account holder's name for that account number. She wouldn't give me the name but referred me to the collection agency. I want to know what rights do I have and what I can do/say about it BEFORE I call them. Any and all info/help would be greatly appreciated!

Most Helpful Response

Well, that's tricky. Do you know for sure that this debt is yours? Both the credit bureaus and collection agencies make a lot of mistakes. If you're not certain it's actually your debt, then I wouldn't contact the collection agency first. I'd contact the credit bureau and dispute the record. You might just be able to get it removed.

Or send a certified letter to the collection agency telling them that this is NOT your debt, and if they believe it is, tell them they must send you documentation proving that. You also have the right to tell them not to contact you again about it.

If it really is your debt, you have a couple of options. First, if the debt is more than a couple of years old, your best bet might just be to ignore it. About 7-1/2 years from the date the debt went bad, it will roll off your record. (Again, you have the right to ask the collection agency to stop contacting you about it.)

If the debt is more recent, you might want to go ahead and contact the collection agency and offer to settle for less than the full amount due. However, be aware that in making any arrangement with a collection agency, you risk "re-aging" the debt and having it on your record for longer than it otherwise would have been.

Also, as you may already know, collection agencies are slimy skunks. While federal law strictly limits what they're able to do, they still find ways to manipulate and pressure you until you hardly know what you're doing. So it's best to keep any contact with them in writing, via certified mail.

Good luck and good for you for working to get your credit straightened out.