Question

wendylee27

What credit card should an international student without credit history get?
Hi! I'm not a UW citizen nor a permanent resident. I just have student F-1 visa for college education. But, I would like to startbuild up my credit history, though most banks need me to be a citizen or to have greencard to apply for a credit card. I think I can only start with secured cards. Does anyone have suggestions for non-US citizens like me? Thanks!

Citizenship for credit card? Says who?

I am not sure for the students, but according to me, having a citizenship or green card is definitely NOT an absolute requirement for getting a credit card in my knowledge, unless there are new rules implicated recently. Either the personal bankers do not have enough knowledge or they just don't want to take the extra trouble for you. It's nothing personal though. It's prpbably a way of avoiding the extra work.

Getting a student's card or a secured card is your gateway. There are many banks that issue these and I am sure you will get one. That's enough for getting started. If you do a job (any part time job that gives you income), then you can definitely get even a regular card. Just ask the bankers.

I personally know someone who got his first regular credit card within 7 of entering the country. Of course he had a job here but he was a visa holder too (and still after 7 years is a visa holder with 7+ credit cards). Tell this to the bankers who ask for citizenship.