Question

oldwidow

what counts in credit history
Why did the banker at Chase tell me that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to have "no credit history"? According to creditkarma, my history is no more than 8 months old, so obviously they did NOT include the student loans I took out and repaid back in the 1970s, and obviously they did NOT include the mortgage on the house that we paid off a decade or 2 ago. Am I to assume that the banker doesn't know what he's talking about when he tells me that "absolutely" that student loan is included in my credit score? ps. my first visit here; apologies if this got posted more than once

What happened in the 70's

Doesn't show up on your report any longer.

Except for bankruptcy, unpaid Student loans and Government liens/taxes which report for 10 years after they are paid, Everything else falls off your report 7 years after the last payment.

So in fact you could have a very thin credit file if you have had no other credit extended to you in the last 7 years.

Hope that clarifies things for you